Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving Day 2015 - Why I am Thankful for Skating!

(Below is the text from a blog post I wrote for Rainbo Sports especially for Thanksgiving 2013. It's appropriate to share today, Thanksgiving Day 2015!)


Why Are You Thankful for Figure Skating?

Are you thankful for skating? I am.

I am thankful that I can put on a pair of ice skates and glide across a piece of ice. Only others who skate can explain what that feels like, but it is a wonderful feeling, and I'm thankful for it.

I am thankful that I have friends from all over the world because of figure skating. Figure skaters and ice skating fans of all ages and backgrounds seem to magically connect. This always astounds me.

I am thankful that so many members of my family can skate. Recently I went skating with my dad, but I also get to enjoy skating with my children, husband, brother, sister, and nieces and nephews. Families that skate together are fortunate since quality time can be spent together doing something fun.

I am thankful that there are so many ice rinks. Ice skating can be done year-round and worldwide. How cool is that?

I am thankful that skating can be done by people of all ages and throughout life. I am one of the "lucky ones" who began skating as a child. Although many people may consider ice skating a youth sport, there are many adults who skate seriously and love to skate.

I am thankful that skating puts smiles on faces. 

Next time you go to the ice rink, notice all the laughter and smiling that goes on. Whether it is spinning, jumping, a turn, or just being able to hold an edge or do a crossover, the challenges and rewards skating brings to one's life are pricelesss.

I'm thankful that so many wonderful figure skaters and coaches have contributed to our sport throughout history.

It is amazing to see the beautiful and incredible skating that today's ice dancers, pair skaters, synchronized skaters, and single skaters do, but also the skaters of the past also did marvelous things.

Are you thankful for figure skating and why do you like to skate? Have you experienced joy from our wonderful sport? Share your joy with others and Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Skating!

Further Reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment