Thursday, July 13, 2023

My Lifelong Friend Robert Steiner With Snoopy, Charles Schulz, and Peggy Fleming

Paul Spruell posted this photo today on Facebook and I MUST share it!  

This photo was taken in 1976 or 1977.

In the center of this photo is Charles Schulz. Sitting next to him is Peggy Fleming and of course Snoopy, but between Snoopy and Charles Schulz is my lifelong friend Robert Steiner.  

Rob was an amazing singles skater. 

The Steiner family lived in Denver at the time my brother Billy went to train in Colorado with Carlo Fassi when I was 15 years old.  Billy was 13 at the time so my dad rented a small apartment for our family across the street from the CIA Ice rink.  

My dad spent a lot of time talking to Irwin Steiner and even though Paul had a skating partner, I skated with Rob’s brother Paul a bit that summer for fun.  

Paul introduced us to Richard Griffin who became my skating partner.  

Anyway…I dated Rob a bit that summer.  I think Rob picked me because I was short, but eventually he chose Dorothy Hamill over me.  

Rob took me to the only rock concert (it was a YES concert) I ever went to in my life when I was 15 years old.  Mr. Steiner drove us there.  I remember the stadium smelled like POT and when I returned to our Denver apartment, my clothes smelled strongly like marijuana even though I did not partake in a puff of that stuff or cigarettes.  

Rob and I remained friends throughout life and Rob calls me about once or twice a year.  

Paul and his wife Judy are  like family and are like an uncle and aunt to my three now grown children and  have gone to about every figure skating test that my kids took!  They even traveled to Sun Valley to see Annabelle pass her last international ice dance and celebrated with us when she became a US Figure Skating Septuple Gold Medalist!

Anyway…what an amazing and historical photo!  Paul Spruell…thank you for sharing it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment