Friday, April 20, 2018

My Son Joel's Performance in Disney On Ice Frozen in Long Beach, California is at our family's 2nd home!

Below is an essay my son Joel wrote about our family's connection to Long Beach, California.  His tour with Disney On Ice Frozen just was in his hometown of Colorado Springs in March of 2018, but now from 4/19--22/18 the show is performing in Long Beach which is our family's second home!
 
Family and Friends came to see Joel perform in Disney On Ice Frozen in Long Beach, California 4-19-18
In the late 1920s, my grandfather's family settled in Long Beach. 
The Schneiders were businessman and Maxwell's Jewelers was a landmark in downtown Long Beach.   Mark Schneider Jewelers is still prominent in Long Beach.  
My grandfather and cousins are graduates of Wilson High School in Long Beach and my father and aunts and uncles and cousins are graduates of Millikan high school in Long Beach.
My grandfather (on my mother's side) took a bus every week from Long Beach to Iceland in Paramount to ice skate in the late 1930s and early 1940s and he proposed to my grandmother at that ice rink!
My father's parents met at a roller rink in downtown Long Beach in the 1940s!  During World War Two, my grandmother and great-aunts worked for the war effort in Long Beach as "Rosie the Riveters" at Douglas Aircraft.  My father's father, was an engineer at Douglas Aircraft for over 50 years. 
My father was born in Long Beach and my parents met on a youth trip for Long Beach youth that went to Catalina Island during Labor Day Weekend 1978.  My dad not only attended elementary school, junior high school, and high school in Long Beach, but he is also a graduate of Long Beach City College and California State University at Long Beach.
My mother completed a teaching credential at Long Beach State.
My dad worked at the Veterans Hospital in Long Beach.
My grandfather's uncle was one of the founders of Temple Israel in Long Beach and the Long Beach Jewish Community Center.
My aunt and cousins live in the house my great-grandparents purchased in Belmont Shore in Long Beach in the 1930s and my cousins grew up in Long Beach in that house!  Now my first cousin's children live in the house and attend school in Long Beach.  By the way, they are going to see the show on April 19th!
My family owns a vacation home in Belmont Shore and spends considerable time in Long Beach.  I've vacationed in Long Beach at least once a year since I was a baby.
Anyway, I have a strong connection to Long Beach and am excited about performing in Disney On Ice Frozen in the city that is my family's second home!


No comments:

Post a Comment